Sunday, June 21, 2009

On Saturday, I had my first 'real' class (last week was more of an orientation to the program). And I must say I am very excited! My classmates are awesome and we all have the same goal and passion: to help 'exceptional' children, otherwise known as special ed. And the professor for this course is very inspirational. She has been in the Special Ed field for almost 30 years and has a wealth of knowledge. The coursework for this particular class will be manageable and I don't see it overwhelming me. Heck, if I can survive having to write numerous 25 page papers during a semester while reading, on the average of 300 pages a week, while in grad school for history, I can do this even with 2 kids competing for my attention! And I think what is surprising, in a very good way, is how Indiana Wesleyan incorporates Christian virtues into the coursework and challenges us to be a good Christian. It is very inspirational.

We survived our first Father's Day w/out Mark. The kids are still to young to quite get Father's Day, but we were out at the Lake like we always were. Their Uncle Mike (my brother-in-law, Mike Myron) joined as he is now in Columbus, OH while my SIL and nieces and nephew are still in Omaha awaiting their house to sell so they can join him as he got a new job in Columbus. It was good for all of us. Mike wasn't 'alone' on Father's Day and neither were we. I got up early this morning, while the kids were still asleep, and had a chance to sit on the dock for a while watching the sun rise. I had my iPod with me so I could listen to the music that I 'needed' to hear at that moment. I was able to enjoy the serenity around me while reflecting on Mark. Also, I finally got an opportunity to spread some of his ashes in the Lake like I have been wanting to do. Up until now, there just hasn't been the 'right' time...and it was very fitting to have done it on Father's Day. Though there were many tears shed, it was really a peaceful feeling.

Here is a copy of the memoriam I had put in today's Indy Star from the kids for Mark in honor of Father's Day. I absolutely love this picture of Mark. It was taken about a month before he died while on a hunting trip in Washington with his Dad. It is such an honest picture of him- his charming smile with that twinkle in his eye.

June 21, 2009: In Loving Memory of Mark E. Amos June 1, 1976- Oct. 13, 2008. Dear Daddy: We miss you very much. We love to sing songs to you while sitting on the "Daddy" swing or when we are out at the Triangle House. We know you are with Jesus up in Heaven (and even beat Him at golf!) Love you, Luke and Kate



And here is the link: http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/memoriams/index.php?action=show&id=6546&category=memoriam

1 comment:

  1. This has me in tears. You are a strong and remarkable woman, Jeri. I think Mark is very proud of what you are setting out to acomplish and the way you are being so strong for the children. I think Father's day was the perfect time. And it's good you had a few moments of reflection and calm to work thru some of those feelings. One day at a time.
    Also, I'm glad school is going well. You're going to do great!
    Can't wait to see you this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete