Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It has been a busy 2 weeks and I have had a slight ‘break’ from school due to labor day, not sure why but we got a 2 week break…not that I am complaining…now I just have to get back into the ‘school’ mode. I’ll have to resort to bullet points to update you on what has been going on with us.

* Labor Day: My Mom (aka Nana) came down for the weekend to spend with us. I will say it was a bit tough on the emotions as she always comes down for Labor Day and we always go out to the Lake….which is still hard to do without Mark. But going out to the Lake always gives me some sense of peace.

* The kids of course loved visiting with Nana and love to have her here….they even call the guest bedroom “Nana’s Room.” And NO she is not moving in! I am not sure who had more fun playing games at Chuckie Cheese….Nana or the kids!

* I have been volunteering at least once a week in Luke’s Kindergarten class….and I love it! For the most part, I am just a ‘gopher’ but the experience is wonderful. Luke has been doing really good and staying ‘focused’ on what is going on in class instead of me! Overall Luke has been doing really good with school and really enjoys going to school ~~whew!!

* Kate absolutely LOVES going to school…every day she wakes up and asks me if it is a school day…and when it is, she is ready to go at 8AM even though school does not start till 9:30. When I pick her up the first thing she tells me is what they did in gymnastics class.
* I have started arranging for my upcoming ‘observation/field experience’ for school. I spent a few hours at Lynhurst 7/8th Grade Center (where my friend Bridget, who is now off at the FBI Acadmey kicking some major booty, used to work) with some of the Special Ed teachers. It was a great experience and have been invited back! I am very anxious to get some more experience in the classroom!!!

* On Sept 12th, I walked with my dear friends Amy Hale and Amy Litchfield Bultemeier, along with my support group “The Comfort Zone” at Hendricks Regional at the Indianapolis “Out of Darkness” Suicide Prevention walk in memory of Mark. Our team had the 3rd highest amount raised, which is pretty good for our first year (and a big THANKS goes out to everyone who made a donation!). On the drive to downtown Indy by myself, when I was about 3 minutes away, the song “When I Get Where I Am Going” comes on the radio….talk about signs. It turned out to be a beautiful, September morning with the walk and the sunshine doing wonders for my soul.

* Sunday we went Apple picking! Yippie!! Went with our neighbors to Anderson Orchards, my favorite. Of course we had just missed all of the Honey Crisp (our favorite) but the kids are not too picky! We have a bunch of Apples and both the kids have upcoming field to apple orchards….I forsee a lot of cooking in the next couple of weeks!

Gracie, Kate, Sam, and Luke (our neighbors) at Anderson Orchards in Mooresville!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to do the walk. This is a great way for you to remember Mark and do good for others at the same time. A wonderful way to honor him. :) I wish I could have been there to walk with and support you Jeri. I am very proud of you for what you are doing with your life. You're an awesome mom and will make an even BETTER teacher!! I will continue to pray for you often, as I know this up-coming month may be a difficult one. ((hugs)) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if you want a fall blog makeover let me know and I'll work one up for you. Also, I can use newer photos if you want - just maybe either email them to my gmail or upload them to your blog here and I'll incorporate them into a header.
    The weather here is AWESOME this week! Wish you could visit!!

    ReplyDelete