Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reflective Mood....

This past week, 3 different people’s death have hit close to home.

First, a guy named Matt “Doc” Keim that I went to Illinois College with, died at the age of 36 of an apparent heart attack. I did not know him extremely well, but we were friends. We hung out with some of the same people, and partied together a few times. I remember going to STL while still in college with some friends to see him at this bar he worked at. I haven’t seen him over 10 years, but I will remember that he always had a smile on his face and never had bad word to say about anyone. As far as I know, he never married, and did not have kids, however he was an only child and both of his parents are still alive.

Second, is a friend that I went to junior high and high school with, named Erik McCormick. Erik was traveling with his wife Erin and their two young kids from IL through IN on their way to Walt Disney World on Friday, Nov 6th when they were in a horrendous car crash. Erik’s 4 yr old daughter, Gwenna, was seriously injured and was taken to Riley Hospital in Indy. Turns out I was just minutes ahead of this crash as it happened in Indy. Gwenna succumbed to her injuries on the 11th. Erik and Erin donated Gwenna’s organs, which I think is the most selfless act anyone can do. There are so many ironies here with their situation; it makes me ill to think about. My heart breaks for them and their loss.

Lastly, a 15 year old boy from Plainfield (Ben Kempf) was killed last night in a freak accident….he was riding a moped when a truck pulled out in front of him. The accident happened right by where the kid’s sitter lives. I do not know the Kempf family well, however I do know of them as they also go to St. Susanna Catholic Church. Another family looses a child….

As I go through my own grief journey, it is moments like this that remind me that life is too short to hold grudges but one must life their own life with their held up high. Though I am sad for the families, I am reminded that though they lost a loved one, it should be celebrated that 3 people have met Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment